Season 7 Episode 6: The Bare Midriff
Larry and Jerry Seinfeld consider incorporating Larry’s latest real-life experience–involving a bare-midriff assistant and a crying Jesus–into the reunion show.
I found this to be another solid episode. I didn’t enjoy it as much as the previous couple, but found it had some really great moments. Like others, I really liked seeing the interactions between Larry and Jerry. I felt that it started really strongly with the whole midriff thing and the lunch with Richard, but faltered a little after this, as it ventured a little further into the absurd than I like from Curb. The violent ending to the already strange fantasy sequence seemed misplaced, and as others have mentioned the arrest for stealing napkins was a little too unrealistic. Occasionally Larry does seem to “crowbar” plotlines so that all different elements come together. This did feel a little contrived compared to usual. I enjoyed the latter part of the episode with Richard and Larry acting out the scene from the fantasy, and seeing Larry hanging on from Maureen’s stomach was absolutely hysterical. One of the great all-time endings for me.
Now for the issue that has seen over 30 comments this week. I can see how some Christians may have found the urine on the picture offensive. But for Curb fans, I can’t see how this crosses any boundaries that Larry hasn’t already crossed. Firstly, he did not intentionallry urinate on the picture. Secondly, I don’t believe it was intended as a criticism of Christianity. It was more about making light of that small group of people who are likely to purport to see effigies of Christ in their donuts and subsequently auction them on Ebay. Lastly, who could forget Season 3, Episode 9: Mary, Joseph and Larry? In that classic ep Larry not only commented on the “great bod” of a woman playing the virgin Mary but also ate Cheryl and her family’s Jesus cookie because he looked like a monkey! I don’t think this episode breaks new PC territory for Larry, and I found it really quite amusing. However I understand that others may have other opinions and its their right to express it on my blog. That said, some comments have seemed to be heading into a dierction that is outside the context of this site. I haven’t removed any comments yet but if things do get out of hand, I will have to moderate it.
- “Mayonaise is not personal”
- Jerry and Larry re-enacting the “choose” scene from Seinfeld – “You got odds. I got evens.”
- “You gotta flaunt for 24hours? Why not take a break in the flaunt?”
- The language of the gentle honk.
- “The swinging, sexy LA scene” where women expose their midriff at work.
- Drop off calls and official phone goodbye with guys. 100% agreement with Larry on this one. Its a big issue for me too, I have a friend that responds just like Richard did. Calling up just to confirm the official goodbye is a waste of time and money. Really need to establish an unwritten rule among guys for this. Thanks Larry for bringing it to society’s attention!
Again sorry this week’s review is late. Hope to be back on schedule next week. Until then, please keep discussing the season so far!